Content :

Friday 16 February 2018

Album Review : The Time Is Now by Craig David

Hello and welcome to another blogpost. Today I am going to be giving you not one but two reviews. First of all we have a brief review Childish Gambino's unreleased 2011 EP titles "EP", a unique rap record from a unique artist. Shorty afterwards, there will be an in depth review of Craig David's latest album "The Time Is Now". Both of the releases are amazing so lets get into it!

So first of all, if I had to describe Childish Gambino's "EP", I would describe it as literal 'rap royalty'. Overall, I am not a massive fan of rap music but for some reason I love Childish Gambino's bars and always have done, he is certainly my favourite rapper. In particular, I love "Be Alone" and "Not Going Back" as they are honest and relatable. "Not Going Back" is such an empowering song, telling everyone to stick up for what they believe in which is not really a common theme in Gambino's songs. Anyways, I cannot get enough of the EP at the moment and carry on reading until the end of the post to see where it ends up in my rankings...


Track 1 = Magic
We kick of "The Time Is Now" with "Magic", an infectious song that uses clever word-play and some nice vocals from Craig David. I would probably say that this song is one of my favourites from the album as it is just one of those tracks that will get stuck in your head for days upon end. This is an amazing start to an amazing album and something you all need to give a listen to!

Track 2 = Heartline
Looking back now, I am absolutely astounded that I have never mentioned "Heartline" on this blog before. The lead single from the album, the song is extremely catchy and is actually (at the time of writing this) the oldest song in my 'current' music playlist on Spotify which i reorganise weekly, meaning I really do love the song. This is a brilliant song that you need to hear if you haven't already.

Track 3 = Brand New
Another catchy song from the record, "Brand New" is yet another great song from Craig David on this album and one that I cannot stop singing. An ongoing theme throughout the album are catchy lyrics and catchy beats and this song certainly goes along with that. Just like the two previous tracks, take the time out to listen to "Brand New".

Track 4 = Going On
Track 4 on the album is one that I am not quite sure about to be completely honest. Like I have said about other songs before, I feel like the song is lacking 'something' which I am not quite sure of. It could possibly be that the vocal range is relatively slim throughout the track. One thing that I do love about the track though, is the beat and especially how it completely switches up in the middle 8 of the song.

Track 5 = Love Me Like It's Yesterday
"Love Me Like It's Yesterday" is the song that is probably my favourite from the album. Personally, I feel like this track is the catchiest song of the album as the chorus has been stuck in my head since the song first came out. There not really anything negative that I can say about this song as I just love it so much so please make sure you listen to it as soon as possible!

Track 6 = For The Gram
This next song is another one that I am not so sure about as I feel like it sounds like anything you hear nowadays, with me really feeling some Migos vibes, a band who I am not particularly fond of. I do feel like this song is quite different to the rest of the album and the only reason as to why I am not a massive fan of it is because I do not usually listen to this type of music; if you hear the song, you should probably get what I mean.

Track 7 = Get Involved (feat. JP Cooper)
I seriously applaud this song for not only putting Craig David, but also the featured artist JP Cooper out of their comfort zones as this song sound completely different to anything I have heard before from either of the artists. I do certainly love this song though as not only is it catchy, it is different and those are two of the main components of a great song!

Track 8 = I Know You (feat. Bastille)
If you know any of the songs from this album, it is probably this one as, especially in recent weeks, the song has become insanely popular, even become Craig David's highest-charting song in 13 years! I myself am a big fan of the song as I feel like Craig David and Dan from Bastille's voices compliment each other so well, forming a unique and insanely-good partnership. The song is also very catchy and if you event heard it yet, you should do so.

Track 9 = Live In The Moment (feat. GoldLink)
Track nine of the album is another one of my favourites as it gives me 'old-school Nile Rodgers vibes' which may sound very bizarre but if you listen, you'll definitely get what I mean. I love Craig's voce in the catchy chorus and GoldLink's rap verse as it flows so well. This album seems to spawn hit after hit!

Track 10 = Love Will Come Around
Taking a more chilled and laid-back approach, we have "Love Will Come Around" which I love as the lyrics and the beats are still so catchy and a track that I cannot get enough of, despite having a slower tempo than the other tracks on the album. I also love how there are a limited amount of words in the chorus as it seems to work very well with the song which isn't always the case.

Track 11 = Somebody Like Me (feat. AJ Tracey)
Penultimately, "Somebody Like Me" is an infectious that gives me both something fresh and something old-school which is bizarre to come across. I am a big fan of the rising artist AJ Tracey's verse as it fits the song so well and although Craig David's vocals may not be the best I've seen on this album before, they fit the song so perfectly so you don't need to really worry about it.

Track 12 = Focus
Lastly, we have "Focus" which I am a big fan of as it takes me back to the times when I was in love with House music a couple of years ago. Although it may not be what I would traditionally listen to nowadays, I can appreciate the track and how it makes you want to just get up and dance or sing. This is a great, upbeat and energetic end to an album.

So overall, "The Time Is Now" is certainly a fair title for the album as the album is exactly what is needed right now as it is so upbeat and happy in a world where there is so much bad news around us. Each song on the record is diverse yet also similar and I am so glad that Craig David has stuck to his roots as it is what I love. With this in mind, lets look at out rankings (also featuring Childish Gambino's "EP")...

1. Camila Cabello - Camila
2. Sam Smith - The Thrill Of It All
3. Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me
4. Childish Gambino - EP
5. Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol.1
6. Craig David - The Time Is Now


Song Of The Week :
Recently, a song called "Vain" by KIRBY came up on my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify, something that I check frequently and I instantly fell in love. The song is so jazzy and soulful and I cannot get enough of when the gospel choir join in on the chorus. KIRBY's vocals are also so smooth and silky, a quality that I absolutely adore in a voice; the song as a whole is an experience and my favourite style of music. Please check out the song and give KIRBY the recognition the recognition she needs. So I hope you enjoyed this blogpost. Next week I shall be posting another instalment of "My Favourite Little Mix Songs" so I hope you are excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment