Content :

Saturday 22 April 2017

EP Reviews : Caught Up by Sarah Close + Hopeless Romance by Sonny

Hello and welcome to a post similar to my "Album Review" posts, yet today I will be reviewing two EP's in one big blogpost for you all. First of all, I will being reviewing Sonny's debut release "Hopeless Romance" which came out about a month ago. A soon as I heard Sonny, I fell in love with him and his soulful voice as if I was an artist, I think I would release music just like his! Anyways, lets start with the review.

Track 1 = Princess
"Princess" was the first song that Sonny ever released and as soon as I heard it, I knew I had to mention it on this blog (featuring it as one of my "Songs Of The Week"). I just love how smooth his vocals are throughout the entire track; the lyrics are also ones that will get stuck in your head for days. Whenever I listen, this song always manages to put me in a good mood and I honestly cannot praise it enough! This utterly incredible track could even be my favourite of 2017!

Track 2 = Wage A War
Another track that I cannot praise enough is "Wage A War"! This song shows off the insane vocals that the artist can convey and is yet again undeniably catchy. This song may be a little slower but it still manages to get me listening and singing to it on repeat and some of the high notes that are reached are notes that any male singer would desire! In addition to "Princess", "Wage A War" is a song that I have been loving this year and a song that I hope you will love too.

Track 3 = Two To Tango
The third song on this extended-play is a lot more upbeat than the others but once again, I absolutely love it. What makes this song unique is the fusion of rock and soul music which I have never really heard before. Also, if you didn't know, Sonny plays the guitar and in this track, it is honestly incredible and rather distinctive. I love this song and I bet as soon as you hear it, you will too!

Track 4 = Since We've Begun
The penultimate song on the EP is certainly the most 'stripped-back' song on the EP but I can promise you it is still very catchy! Out of all of the songs, "Since We've Begun" is definitely the song that shows the vocals that Sonny is capable of, reaching some crazy high notes and featuring some soothing ad-libs. After three fairly upbeat songs, its lovely to have a slower song to 'chill out' to which I feel only adds to how great it is. You need to give this a listen!

Track 5 = Jodie
Lastly, "Jodie" is yet another great track. If I had to pick one, this would probably be my least favourite though, not because its bad, just because I love the other four songs so much. Anyways, the track is so soulful which contributes to why I love it so much and also, it features some great falsetto which I don't feel you get to hear in any other song on the extended-play. After listening to all of the other songs, still give this song a listen as it is definitely a great song!


Overall, I cannot praise this EP enough as it is so soulful, so catchy and utterly amazing! Its not often that you come across a (fairly unknown) artist that you love so much and aspire to be like; Sonny is that person for me. Even though I may not have been able to attach the songs for this EP (which I will be able to do for Sarah Close's "Caught Up EP"), you can trust me when I say it is one of the best EP's I have listened to for a long time so please check it out whenever you can! 
Anyways, next up is Sarah Close who I have been subscribed to on YouTube since she had 3000 subscribers. She now has over 750,000 subscribers and she has just released her "Caught Up EP" which is the first ever original music that she has released. Lets proceed with the review...


Track 1 = Call Me Out
Just like Sonny's "Princess", I fell in love with "Call Me Out" as soon as I heard it so I had to mention it as my "Song Of The Week" a few weeks ago. The chorus is so catchy and every time I listen to it, I can't not sing or hum along to it. My favourite section of the song has to be either the bridge or the middle 8 though as it features some absolutely unbelievable notes that I wish i'd be able to hit. "Call Me Out" is a song that I thoroughly recommend you listen to as it is bound to get you singing and dancing along; it's lyrics are so infectious that I have been singing them on repeat for weeks.


Track 2 = Caught Up
The next track on the EP is my favourite of the four as, even though it might not be the most vocally ambitious song, it is so catchy and I cannot stop singing along! The song bizarrely reminds me of Lily Allen as I feel like Sarah's vocals are similar to her's in this track. In addition, I also love how Sarah has converted a pretty serious situation into what seems like a fun one buy making her lyrics so  funny and relatable. "Caught Up" is yet another song that I feel could be my favourite song of 2017 so please give it the respect it deserves and listen to it below...


Track 3 = Perfect After All
This next song is different to any other song that I have ever heard in my entire life! Sarah has purposely used loads of autotune to create a sound unlike any other and even though it may be only just over a minute long, you cannot deny that this is an innovative song. I know this is the type of song that will have mixed opinions but personally, I like the song as it is so different! Listen to the song below and tell me what you think about it.


Track 4 = Maestro
The last song on the EP is one that I feel really tells a story. When Sarah was asked about the song, she said she simply wrote it looking at random people but loved it so much she had to put it on the EP! Once again, I love how different this song is to anything else I've heard before as even though it's chorus may have been replaced, it still manages to be extremely catchy. You really need to give this song a listen as it features some great vocals and is just so different to anything else I have heard!


Overall, what I love most about the EP is the fact that it has so much variety between four songs and is different to anything else I've heard. Also, the four songs may sound completely different but I love all of them so much! Sarah has really outdone herself with this EP as it compliments her voice and her personality. My musical taste is so varied as both Sarah's and Sonny's EP's are so incredible and I cannot stop singing along to either of them. With that being said, let's look at where they rank in comparison to all of the other albums that I have reviewed...

1. Kehlani - SweetSexySavage
2. Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
3. Sonny - Hopeless Romantic EP
4. Sarah Close - Caught Up EP
5. Ed Sheeran - Divide
6. John Legend - Love & Darkness
7. Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love


Song Of The Week :
This week's "Song Of The Week" is a song that I cannot stop singing along to; that song is "Lions And Tigers And Bears" by Amber Riley. The song is from Todrick Hall's "Straight Outta Oz" album and Amber's vocals are literally flawless! I have been a massive fan of her's for a long time so as soon as I heard that she would release new music, I already knew that I would fall in love with it. The track has such a strong message embedded within its lyrics which I feel like everyone can relate to so overall, I just think that this is an unbelievable track.                     Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this fairly long post reviewing two EP's that I have not been able to stop listening to recently. Next week I will be reviewing my time at Bruno Mars' "24k Magic World Tour" which I hope you all are excited for!

No comments:

Post a Comment