Content :

Friday 7 April 2017

Artist Showcase : Pentatonix

Hello and welcome to this month's "Artist Showcase". Today I am going to be showcasing one of my favourite bands who are so diverse when in comparison to all other bands; their name is Pentatonix.


Scott, Mitch, Avi, Kevin & Kirtsie all make up Pentatonix, an extremely good acapella group who rose to fame through YouTube after appearing on the American TV show "The Sing-Off". They currently sit on nearly 13 million subscribers and have since gone on to release several albums and EP's featuring covers as well as originals which are just as good! I have been a big fan of theirs for many years now so I thought it was about time that I shared my love for them with you all on this post.

What originally made me fall in love with the five-piece was their "Evolution" videos. These include "The Evolution Of Beyonce", "The Evolution Of Miley Cyrus" and my personal favourite, "The Evolution Of Music". These videos were on another level compared to anything I had ever seen before and I cannot believe how on earth they created all of them. "The Evolution Of Music" was a mashup of all of the hit songs through time, starting in the 11th century and venturing all the way through to what was then present time (2012). Everything flowed so well in the song, including when one song transitioned into another; I just think it was so clever and something you guys need to see!


Alongside all of their "Evolution" covers on YouTube, Pentatonix also also did covers that weren't mashups. These were all unique in their own way but there were certainly a few that stood out. These include "No" by Meghan Trainor (which was featured in my last blogpost), "Problem" by Ariana Grande and finally, "Cheerleader" by OMI which is what I'll be talking about in today's post. The reason why I am such a big fan of their "Cheerleader" cover is because at the time, "Cheerleader" was one of the 'hottest' songs around which meant Pentatonix had to do quite something to top it; they did do that something! The song and acapella instrumental are so incredibly catchy that when the original song died down, this version didn't and I still love it to this day!


Even though they are mainly loved for their covers, the five-piece's original songs are also brilliant. In 2015, the band released their debut, self-titled album which featured the first ever originals that they released. My favourite of these originals is their song titled "Sing" as its lyrics are so honest and true yet so catchy. I also love how all of the band's are so significantly different in this video with Mitch showing his falsetto, Scott showing a rocky side to himself, Kirstie providing some incredible harmonies, Avi providing what is an amazing instrumental and Kevin showing everyone that he can rap (my personal favourite out of the five). This is an undeniably great song considering the only instrument it features are vocals, you should check it out!


Pentatonix may be popular in the YouTube world and they may have won one or two GRAMMY's but I honestly think that hardly anyone knows about" them. I want Pentatonix to become a household name as what they are doing right now is nothing like we have ever seen before in the music world. If you enjoy their music, spread the word by telling everyone you know about them as all five of them really deserve it!

Song Of The Week :
This week's "Song Of The Week" is by an artist who has already been featured in my "Song Of The Week" segment, his name is Sonny and the song is the brilliant "Wage A War". If you've been reading my blog recently, you will know that I previously mentioned his song "Princess" and I must say, I have nearly fallen in love with this song as much as I did with the older single. Anyways, the song is taken from Sonny's "Hopeless Romance EP" (which I will be reviewing in about a fortnight) and I love how raw and soulful the track is. Whenever you have time, listen to this song as I know you won't regret it!
So I hope you enjoyed this instalment of my "Artist Showcase". Next week I will show you some of the most unique concerts I have been to so I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment