Content :

Sunday 12 November 2017

Musical Songs You Should Listen To

Hello and welcome to another blogpost. Today I am sharing with you six songs from musicals that I am obsessed with. These songs can be from film or tv adaptations but they have all derived from musical theatre (disclaimer : I shall not be including previous "Song Of The Week"'s meaning that "Step One" from "Kinky Boots" and "Take Me Or Leave Me" from "Rent" shall not be included). I shall also try and include performances of each song as I write about it in order to make the post more 'immersive'. I hope you enjoy!

Listen from Dreamgirls
We are kicking off today's post with what is potentially one of my favourite songs of all time and (as you know) my favourite Beyonce song. Whether it is from the movie or the several theatre versions, anytime I have heard "Listen" live it has just amazed me with its desirable vocals and catchy lyrics. Fairly recently, I saw "Dreamgirls" in the West End and Amber Riley (commonly known as Mercedes from Glee) was utterly incredible and her voice is one of a kind. Anyways, please listen to this track as I just cannot get enough of it!

Revolting Children from Matilda
This next song is probably the newest on this post but that certainly does not mean it is the worst! The song is easily the catchiest on this blogpost as whenever I listen, the song gets stuck in my head for days! Back in July in my school show, this song was involved in it and you could tell it was easily the cast's favourite song to perform. The song is fun, light-hearted and just what you need in a song really. I really hope to see "Matilda The Musical" in the future as I bet it would be amazing; I would suggest you really try and do the same.

Run And Tell That from Hairspray
After "Dreamgirls", "Hairspray" is probably one of my favourite musicals as it covers such controversial topics and makes them seem like they're not a big deal. In particular, "Run And Tell That" is a great song (especially the film version) as the vocals are truly unbelievable, especially for me as a soul singer. If you somehow have never seen "Hairspray" before, you are seriously missing out as the show is so touching and fun throughout. I cannot wait for it to be my school's show next year as I know for sure that everyone will love it.

You'll See from Rent
"Rent" is an absolute musical classic and it has spawned tons of remakes of it's songs. One song that I think is severely underrated from the musical and hasn't been recreated a lot is "You'll See". If you ask me, the song features some great male vocals and I feel like it is constantly overshadowed by songs like "Seasons Of Love". If you ever watch "Rent" in the future (which you should do by the way because its amazing), please really appreciate this song as it is great and extremely unique in my opinion.

Love You I Do from Dreamgirls
Just like "You'll See" in "Rent", "Love You I Do" is so amazing but is constantly overshadowed by songs like "Listen" and "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" but I personally believe that, after "Listen", it is the best "Dreamgirls" song. In particular, I can't get enough of Jennifer Hudson's version from the film as it is so catchy and upbeat and her voice just suits it perfectly (To be honest, what song does Jennifer Hudson's voice not suit?)! Yet again, if you have never seen "Dreamgirls" before, first of all, I would seriously judge you and second of all, I would seriously recommend it as you really need to watch it!

You Can't Win from The Wiz
Last but not least we have a song that I have not been able to get enough of this year since I discovered it. "The Wiz Live" (not "The Wiz" movie which is pretty terrible to be honest) is now one of my favourite musical movies as every song is incredible and it features some great people : Elijah Kelley, Uzo Aduba, Amber Riley and Ne-Yo to name a few. In particular, "You Can't Win" is an unbelievable song that showcases some great vocals and lyrics. I would certainly say you should watch "The Wiz Live" online; I wish I could've seen the show to capture a glimpse of how good it would've been.

Song Of The Week :
This week's "Song Of The Week" is once again by Sam Smith, he is unstoppable at the moment! This week's song is "Baby, You Make Me Crazy" and the song is so fun, upbeat and happy, making a change compared to Sam Smith's usual material. In particular, I love the chorus' falsetto vocals as they are so desirable to any male vocalist. If you have any spare time upon your hands, this is a song that you really need to listen to!

Whilst on the topic of Sam Smith, next week I shall be reviewing his phenomenal new album "The Thrill Of It All" so I hope you are all as excited as I am for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment