Content :

Monday 21 November 2016

Album Review : 24k Magic by Bruno Mars

Hello and welcome to today's post which is a little different to my normal material on this blog. In this post I am going to be reviewing Bruno Mars' new album called 24k Magic with (some of) the songs attached. Let me know if you enjoy as I will try and do this on many more anticipated albums.



Track 1 = 24k Magic
The lead single of the album of the same name, "24k Magic" has already has commercial success prior to the album's release date, notching up over 137 million views online as well as charting at number three in the UK chart. I am a big fan of this song as it just makes you want to get up and dance. Also, the song is rather unique as it features a bit of rapping which I am not used to hearing when listening to Bruno Mars (this is quite an ongoing theme throughout the album) but I definitely like it as it is fresh and different to his past two albums. Have a listen to the track below...


Track 2 = Chunky
"Chunky" is probably one of my favourite songs from the album as it, just like the first song, makes you want to dance which I love. The difference with this song is that it focuses on Bruno's voice which is then accompanied by an extremely infectious beat. Another subtle feature that I love is how you can distinguish the backing singers' vocals in the whole song as it makes it feel like some sort of old Motown song! Expect this song in my next "7 Songs You should Listen To' post as it is certainly one of my favourites (for that reason I am also not attaching the audio to this post).

Track 3 = Perm
The song "Perm" is a good one because it is a little cheeky and shows a lot of personality. This song is also like "24k Magic" in the sense that it focuses on rap but it is still clearly different to the track. One reason why I think this song is great is because it just simply makes you want to party and dance with the funky beat and tune. If you listen to the song which is attached below you will completely understand what i mean.



Track 4 = That's What I Like
Alongside "Chunky", I have to say that this track is one of my favourites on the album. I like this song because it is has a slower tempo when in comparison with the last three songs but the song is very relaxing. Whenever I'm doing homework, this song is one of the ones I have to play as it just makes me feel tranquil and therefore focus on it. The singers vocals on this song are also incredible and I can imagine if this song was performed live, it would be absolutely amazing!

Track 5 = Versace On The Floor
You may have heard this song in my previous "7 Songs You Should Listen To" post and I still love this song just as much. The track just makes me want to sing-along and it has actually now become one of my shower songs that I am always singing. This song is just so emotional and heartfelt which you can really sense when listening. Also, out of all of the album's tracklist, Bruno's vocals are definitely the best in this song as he has great falsetto as well as melisma and vibrato. Have a listen down below if you haven't already...


Track 6 = Straight Up & Down
Just like "That's What I Like", "Straight Up & Down" is very tranquil and would definitely make me focus. The lyrics are quite quirky which is a nice factor and the instrumental weirdly reminds me of Billy Ocean's "When The Going Get's Tough (The Tough Get's Going)". Similarly to some other songs on the record, the backing singer's vocals are unbelievable which I think is incredible throughout the album. This song is a good one and you should really listen to it.

Track 7 = Calling All My Lovelies
If I had to chose one, I would probably have to say this is my least favourite song on the album. There is nothing bad about it at all but i just think it lacks something unique which every other song has. On the other hand, the song's chorus is quite catchy with phenomenal falsetto but other than that, not much really excites me about this track. Please do give it a listen though as you may differ to me.

Track 8 = Finesse
Yet another song that I love from the album is "Finesse". The reason that I love this song is because you can really tell that it focuses on Bruno's solo vocals rather than those of his backing singers (which are still included in the song). This also means that his vocals are great throughout the track which has an extremely catchy chorus, something which is always needed in a song. The only bad thing about this song is the fact that i cannot attach it to this post due to copyright; make sure you check it out though!

Track 9 = Too Good To Say Goodbye
Last but not least, we have "Too Good To Say Goodbye" which is lovely because it is simply Bruno Mars and his piano accompanied by a subtle beat. Out of all of the songs on the album, this song really showcases what vocals the Hawaiian singer is capable of. You may say this song is one of the low-tempo songs on the record but that certainly does not mean it is one of the worst (I would have to say it is one of my favourites). For me the song reminds me heavily of the Motown era and it almost feels like I already know the backing track. You honestly need to listen to this song as I know you will love it.


Overall I think the album is incredible and actually one of the best released so far this year. The reason why I love it is that it constantly reminds me of Motown which if you didn't know is my favourite style of music. I would strongly recommend you buy this album as you will not regret, I preordered the album on vinyl and I am utterly in love with it. 
Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this post as i certainly did. Let me know if you want more album reviews like this as it was great fun to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment