Content :

Monday 6 February 2017

Album Review : SweetSexySavage by Kehlani

Hello and welcome to an extremely long-awaited album review. Today I will be reviewing Kehlani's incredible debut album "SweetSexySavage" in the hope that it will attract you. One slight disclaimer, I will only be reviewing the first 12 tracks of this album as I do not want it to seem like its dragging on with its 19 tracks. Anyways, I really hope you enjoy!


Track 1 = Intro
The first track on the singer's album is certainly a statement! The "Intro" is an incredible poem, addressing those that Kehlani has crossed on her way to this momentous occasion. She also apologises for anyone that she might that conflicted with and tells them all that everything she does is because of them. It may only be a minute long, but this is a rather empowering start to the album! Sadly, there is no audio that I can attach to this post but make sure you listen to it whenever you can.

Track 2 = Keep On
Possibly my favourite track on the album, "Keep On" immediately makes you feel happy and want to dance along. Being the first 'actual' song on her first ever album, it had to make an impact and it sure did! This is one of the songs that will get stuck in your head for days and I am certainly not complaining about that; even whilst writing this post, I am singing the infectious lyrics in my head. This is a song you seriously need to listen to!


Track 3 = Distraction
"Distraction", the lead single from the album, is one that I have been loving for a seriously long time as it appeared in my "7 Songs You Should Listen To" towards the end of last year. Just like "Keep On", this song will get stuck in your head for days and it will also make you want to dance along! Like I said before, I have loved this song for a long time and I expect to love it for a lot longer! Listen to this song below as I know you will love it!


Track 4 = Piece Of Mind
After the past two song being extremely upbeat, "Piece Of Mind" decides to take a slightly slower approach which totally works. Yet again, this song is really catchy which I feel runs through the majority of the album. Also, the beat will 100% get you either clicking or clapping along as it is so infectious, something which is quite skilful considering it is quite a low-tempo song. For a song that is very different to any other, give this one a listen.


Track 5 = Undercover
The fifth song on this album is great because it tricks you into thinking the instrumental is acoustic with a guitar before the amazing beat kicks in! Alongside this, the chorus is once again incredibly catchy and is bound to get you singing along. The singer also manages to show quite a variety of vocals in this song which makes a nice difference. This song is unfortunately not available to attach to this post but I hope you go and listen to it in your own time.

Track 6 = CRZY
Next up we have a song that I have loved for a seriously long time but have weirdly not mentioned before. Anyways, "CRZY" is an amazing song as it just makes you always want to dance along. The song also features some rap which is nice from the artist as it does not always happen on her tracks! This song, alongside the rest of the album, is worthy of a listen so make sure you give it that listen down below...


Track 7 = Personal 
"Personal" is a song that I immediately fell in love with as, you guessed it, its unbelievably catchy right from the beginning! Just like the last song, this song also features rapping which is great and really hard to make catchy, showing great achievement for the artist. Even though the chorus may only consist of very few words, it is a great one that you will not be able to stop singing so give this amazing song the respect it deserves by listening to it even though I cannot attach it to this post.

Track 8 = Not Used To It
Track Eight of the album is a rather peculiar one as it has that EDM beat that many of her other songs have but it has a slow tempo which I am not sure of if I am being honest with you. If I had to pick one, this would probably be my least favourite album on the album but it is certainly not bad! I just feel that it doesn't have that feel-good connotation that all of the other tracks have. This is also another track that I cannot attach but if you want to, try and understand my point whilst listening night to it on another platform.

Track 9 = Everything Is Yours
Although this track isn't like the other ones, I really like it as you can really feel how it is so heartfelt. Kehlani really manages to get her emotions across with this song as it does not feature many instruments in it, making people just focus on her voice, unlike "Not Used To It". Whoever this lover of Kehlani is, he should consider himself lucky as she clearly cares about him so much!


Track 10 = Advice
After a couple of songs that differ from the rest of album, "Advice" is another song that is really catchy. The mid-tempo track is one that is actually really empowering as it tells a story; it tells Kehlani's story on how she has served a bad life and doesn't want others to go through it. The lyrics obviously mean a lot and I personally really appreciate them and you should too! Give this a listen just below this paragraph.


Track 11 = Do U Dirty
The penultimate track of this blogpost is another amazing one that I have loved for a long time. It may be a low-tempo ballad but it sure is catchy. I have been singing along to this song for months now and it is about time you do the same. Also, this song is just like "Advice" in the way that it is very emotional which you can tell by the way Kehlani extends and over-pronounciates her words. This is honestly a great song that you honestly need to have the courtesy of listening to whenever you can possibly do so!

Track 12 = Escape
Finally we come to the twelfth track of the album (even though there are seven more great tracks). This song is a typical catchy ballad which actually gives me nostalgia as it reminds me of the music I used to listen to when I was younger. This is an amazing song that shows off Kehlani's incredible vocals that are highly unappreciated so I think it really deserves a listen from everyone who reads this post!



Overall, I think this album is truly phenomenal and I think Kehlani really needs to be heard! This album is so different to anything in today's music industry and now that I have listened to it, I don't know what I would do without it. If this album is anything to go by, 2017 should be an amazing year in terms of music! Nearly every song on the record is catchy and it really shows elements of R&B which is one of my favourite genres. Anyways, here are the rankings for all of the albums that I have reviewed on this blog (including a switch between Bruno Mars and John Legend because I now prefer "24k Magic")...

1. Kehlani - SweetSexySavage
2. Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
3. John Legend - Love & Darkness
4.Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love


So I hope you enjoyed this highly anticipated album review, expect another one next month when Ed Sheeran releases his new album.

No comments:

Post a Comment