Content :

Friday 19 May 2017

Album Review : Harry Styles by Harry Styles

Hello and welcome to yet another blogpost. In today's blogpost I will be reviewing Harry Styles' self-titled album; something which I never thought I'd do for various reasons. Anyways, lets proceed with the post!


Track 1 = Meet Me In The Hallway 
If you ask me, "Meet Me In The Hallway" is the perfect start to an album and the perfect start to showing how Harry Styles and his music differs to One Direction and their music. The song is not only catchy, but different to anything else I have heard in a while! The song seems to form a fusion of Indie and Rock music with this song and if you ask me, it totally works. To top it all off, you get to hear some lovely vocals from Harry toward the end, making it a great song overall.


Track 2 = Sign Of The Times
If you have been reading this blog for the past month or so, you will know that I absolutely love this song; it was even featured as my "Song Of The Week" at one point. Like I said before, to me, this song seems to be very inspired by David Bowie and yet again, Harry's vocals are unbelievable, possibly the best vocals on any track on the record. Since the song got released, I have not been able to stop singing it and it's catchy lyrics so when you hear it, I bet you'll do the same!


Track 3 = Carolina
This next song could possibly be my favourite throughout the album as it is just so upbeat; its bound to make you happy! In my opinion, the song is inspired by 60's rock as I hear The Beatles when I listen to it. What I love about this song though is the fact that whenever I listen, I cant help but dance or sing along. Its crazy to think just how different to the music Harry and his bandmates were releasing a couple of years ago.


Track 4 = Two Ghosts
"Two Ghosts", which is rumoured to be written about Taylor Swift, takes a slightly different approach compared to the rest of the songs as it sounds more like country that the rest of his material, something else linking the song to Taylor and her country roots. I must admit, it took me a few listens to like the song but now I do really like it, simply because of how relaxing it is. This may sound weird but I can imagine listening to the song on a summer's day whilst having a picnic, bizarre I know!


Track 5 = Sweet Creature
Track 5 of the album is another one that I have fallen in love with! It is not only relaxing like "Two Ghosts", but also very catchy like "Sign Of The Times" and "Carolina". I have not been able to stop singing this song since it was released (early) about two weeks ago. You can also really sense Harry's heartbreak in this song as his lyrics are so simple and easy to understand. This is a song that I would thoroughly recommend you listen to...


Track 6 = Only Angel 
If I had to pick one, "Only Angel" would probably be my least track of the album; this wouldn't be because it's bad but because I am not a fan of the super-long intro that does not really match up with the rest of the song. The chorus is very catchy in this song which does make me love it and I have been singing that little "woo-hoo" in my head since the album's release; its just so infectious. Its a shame that the song has this long intro as it would probably be one of my favourites if not!


Track 7 = Kiwi
What makes "Kiwi" stands out over the rest is the attitude that is shown throughout! This 'attitude' weirdly reminds me of Elvis, also just like the electric guitar throughout, also reminding me of the King Of Rock. Sure, the chorus may just be Harry Styles shouting but in this 'aggressive' song, it completely works and it would probably sound a bit weird if it wasn't in it. "Kiwi" is a song that you should give a listen to, especially as I sadly cannot attach it to this post.

Track 8 = Ever Since New York
The reason why I am a fan of "Ever Since New York" is because Harry's voice sounds so smooth, light and almost 'floaty' in this song. The short chorus is also fairly catchy making it a pretty great song. Overall, I do prefer Harry Styles' more upbeat songs but this song is amazing because it is so separate and different to the rest. 


Track 9 = Woman
The reason as to why I like "Woman" is because it is rather moody, something which you may sense throughout the whole album but I can really notice it throughout this track. The chorus, even if it only consists of one 'proper' word, is so catchy that I am even singing it in my head whilst writing this. I also am a big fan of the guitar solo as it is the only one on the album, adding yet another layer of diversity on this severely unique record; the only downside is, I cannot attach it to this post!

Track 10 = From The Dining Table
The final track on the album is one that really stands out to me as it sound very similar to folk (one genre that we have not heard yet on this album) which totally works, providing a relaxing end to this record. What is even more bizarre is how I get the exact same feeling with this song as I do with "Two Ghosts" where I want to just sit in a field on a summers day whilst listening to it.


Overall, I am literally astounded by this album! Harry Styles is one person that I never thought I would enjoy listening to but this album channels so many emotions that I feel like anyone can listen to it, no matter what mood you're in. Every song sounds completely different bot they all tell stories; something that not all artist can do with their songs. With that in mind, here are the rankings of the records I have reviewed (disclaimer : several albums have been switched around as others have grown on me overtime)...

1. Kehlani - SweetSexySavage
2. Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
3. Sarah Close - Caught Up EP
4. Sonny - Hopeless Romance EP
5. Harry Styles - Harry Styles
6. John Legend - Love & Darkness
7. Ed Sheeran - Divide
8. Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love


Song Of The Week :
This week's "Song Of The Week" is one that has already been featured on my blog before (in a review) and that song is "Caught Up" by the wonderful Sarah Close! What I love about this song is how it is so fun and stress-free, even though the situation that the song was written about is the opposite. Since the release of the EP, my love for this track has risen rapidly! I am also seeing Sarah Close live next month (something which I've always wanted to do) and I know this song will get everyone singing along which is why you should go and listen to it!                Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this post. Next week I will be posting the next instalment of "My Favourite Beyonce Songs" where we countdown from 40 to 31, get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment