Content :

Monday 6 March 2017

Album Review : Divide by Ed Sheeran

Welcome to another post on this blog, this time reviewing Ed Sheeran's latest release "Divide". Today I will be reviewing the non-deluxe version of the album (in order to not make the post 'drag on') in the hope that you will enjoy it; lets proceed!


Track 1 = Eraser
If you ask me, "Eraser" is an amazing introduction to the album as you can easily tell what state of mind Ed Sheeran was in just by following the lyrics. I absolutely love when Ed Sheeran raps on his tracks so I always knew I would love this song from the first line. The chorus is also really catchy and so meaningful and emotional. This track is nothing like Ed's other material which lets you know that the whole record is going to be very diverse, a factor that I think all albums need! If I were you, I would listen to this song as soon as possible.


Track 2 = Castle On The Hill
"Castle On The Hill" was one of the first songs to be released from this album and I fell in love with it as soon as i heard it because even though this album is rather diverse, this song sounds like classic Ed Sheeran to me. For the past few months I have not been able to get this song out of my head and I honestly feel like it is severely underrated just because it was released at the same time as "Shape Of You". If you have somehow not managed to listen to this song yet, or you just want to listen to it over and over again, make sure you listen to it below...


Track 3 = Dive
Track 3 of the album is a song that really shows it's soul elements which anyone who reads this blog will know I love. You can also tell that he has put so much passion and emotion into the song. This is probably one of my favourite songs from the album as it is just so powerful. The song is also a very catchy one that will be stuck in you head. If I had to name a song that it was similar to it would be "Ruin" by Shawn Mendes which I am a massive fan of, showing how much I love the track.


Track 4 = Shape Of You
This song is easily the most successful song from the album, being at number one in the uk for eight weeks but I must admit, I was not a fan of the song at first as it was extremely overplayed. However, since the song has died down a little and Ed has released new versions of the song (including the Stormzy remix which I love), the song has grown on me. Even though I may not be the biggest fan of the song, I cannot deny that it is overly catchy and will get you singing it for weeks! Give it a listen to see what you think.

Track 5 = Perfect
Being the first 'ballad' on the album, "Perfect" makes a nice change to the rest of the songs. Just like several of the other songs on the album, you can really sense the meaning and emotion in this track and whoever the girl is that the song is about, she must be a lucky one! If you are in the mood for a ballad that will make you happy (unless you have just had a breakup), I would definitely recommend this one to you.


Track 6 = Galway Girl
If I had to pick one, I would pick this as my favourite song of album! The song is about Ed Sheeran's relationship with a girl from Galway in Ireland and it stands out so much because he has made typical Irish music fit into today's hit music, something which I have never seen done before. I have also been singing this song pretty much non-stop since it came out so it is definitely a catchy one. I would seriously say you listen to this song as it is a truly phenomenal one that I absolutely love to bits!


Track 7 = Happier
Certainly the slowest and saddest song on the album, "Happier" is bound to make you a little emotional. You know an Ed Sheeran song is emotional when his voice is really smooth and high-pitched in parts. I must say, this song isn't the catchiest but sometimes you don't need that because this song is just great and completely different to anything else on the album. I suggest you listen to it below...



Track 8 = New Man
Personally, I think the verses "New Man" sounds just like Ed's song "Don't" from his previous album which I love! The chorus then switches it up a bit and sounds like nothing I have ever heard before. The vocals in this song are so incredible and catchy not forgetting the amazing instrumental featuring instruments such as flutes, drums and Ed Sheeran's infamous guitar. I would seriously recommend this song to you!

Track 9 = Hearts Don't Break Around Here
What makes this song so different compared to others on the album is the fact that Ed's voice sounds so delicate all of the way throughout. Also, similar to other songs like "Perfect", you can tell Ed Sheeran was extremely emotional whilst writing the track and whoever he wrote it about is a very lucky person. The song is very touching and I would suggest you listen to it whenever you can.


Track 10 = What Do I Know?
If I had to choose a certain song, "What Do I Know?" would definitely be the catchiest song on the album. Since the album was released last week, I have not been able to get this song out of my head! I must admit, Ed's vocals in this track are not the best but sometimes that is not what matters as this is a great song that I am sure you will love! Please have a listen to this song down below as I know you will not be able to stop singing it...


Track 11 = How Would You Feel (Paean)
This next song is one that I would describe as a 'typical wedding day song', meaning that I can imagine several people dancing to the song as their first dance. The track is very slow and repetitive but it is extremely emotional. I must say that this song is not my favourite but I can imagine why others would love it. See whether you agree with me down below...


Track 12 = Supermarket Flowers
Last but not least, we have "Supermarket Flowers" which is bound to pull at your heart strings. When I first heard the song, I actually got really emotional as I felt so connected to the song about a parent who passes away, something which I have experienced in the past. Anyways, this a song that I know anyone will fall in love with so make sure you listen to it, I cannot stop listening to it (and I am not even the biggest fan of ballads)!


Overall, I think this album is amazing and I think that it will win endless amounts of awards in the next year. Ed Sheeran is now one of the most 'listened to' artists in the world and this album certainly justifies that. I may even say that it is my favourite of all of Ed Sheeran's albums to date. Every song on the album is so different yet so emotional and catchy which I can imagine is extremely difficult to do when the deluxe version of your album has 15 songs. Anyways, here are the rankings of my favourite albums that I have reviewed on this blog...

1. Kehlani - SweetSexySavage
2. Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
3. Ed Sheeran - Divide
4. John Legend - Love & Darkness
5. Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love


Song Of The Week :
Before I end this blogpost, I must do my "Song Of The Week" which is by someone who I have loved for an extremely long time and has just released her first single; that person is Sarah Close. Last Friday, Sarah Close released her debut single "Call Me Out" and I am honestly not being bias when I say it is amazing! The song was nothing like I was expecting but I think that makes me love it even more. Alongside "Divide", "Call Me Out" has been a song that I have been constantly listening to and I hope the rest of Sarah's upcoming "Caught Up EP" (which I will be reviewing on this blog) is a good as her first single from it.                                                      
So I hope you enjoyed this rather long blog post! Even though they may take a long time, album reviews are my favourite kind of posts to write as I love giving my honest opinion about music so expect many more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment