Content :

Sunday 17 September 2017

7 Musicals That You Should Watch

Hello and welcome to another blogpost. Recently, I have been watching a lot of musicals so I thought why not do a post dedicated to them! This post should be similar to my "7 Disney Movies You Should Watch" post so I hope you enjoy and lets get on with it...

Grease
We're starting today's post with an absolute classic that I bet you all will know. "Grease" is so iconic and I just love it; the characters, the songs, the singing, I love it all! There are numerous songs from the show that are constantly stuck in my head ("Freddy My Love", "Summer Nights", "The One That I Want" to name a few) and overall the show creates such an electric and happy atmosphere that no other show can really replicate. If you haven't seen this before, what are you doing with your life?

Kinky Boots
I didn't really know much about this next show until I saw it about a month ago but since seeing it, I cannot recommend it enough! The show is about Charlie Price, a guy who takes over his fathers shoe company which has become rather unsuccessful; he then unites with a drag queen named Lola to 're-invent the shoe'. "Kinky Boots" features some amazing song (one of which has even been my "Song Of The Week") so if you go to see a show in London or New York, "Kinky Boots" is a great one to go and see. Trust me, you won't be disappointed!

Sister Act
Next up we have one of my favourite films and a great musical! I genuinely think this may be the most underrated musical of all time as it has so many great factors : hilarious scenes, catchy and vocally-demanding songs, it has it all! The plot is so unique and no show really compares to it. In January, I saw the musical on it's UK tour in my hometown of Brighton and it is clear to say it was phenomenal as Alexandra Burke (former X Factor winner) portrayed Deloris (the main character) perfectly. I would definitely try and grab tickets to the tour if it comes to your city.

Dreamgirls
As we reach the halfway point of this post we have my favourite film of all time and my second favourite musical of all time. If you ask me, "Dreamgirls" is literal perfection! I love the sixties theming, I love the music and I especially love the actors casted in both the film and musical who include people such as Jennifer Hudson, Amber Riley and even Beyonce. People who have been reading my blog for a while will know that the songs have been mentioned a bundle of times and "Listen" is even my favourite ever Beyonce song. You need to see this show before it's run ends in the UK!

Rent
Next we have the musical that I have most recently discovered. I was suggested "Rent" by a couple of friends so I thought I'd watch it on Netflix and it was honestly the best film I had seen in a long time! The musical is so emotional and it has song's that are constantly stuck in my head, one of which is going to be this week's "Song Of The Week". I love all of the characters and they're stories so much, especially Angel, my favourite so basically, go and watch it as soon as you possibly can as I can guarantee you'll be overly emotionally invested in it.

Hairspray
Penultimately we have a show that i'd expect you have all at least heard of. Both the musical and the film of "Hairspray" are incredible and they put a comedy twist on one of the hardest issues in the world : segregation. My school are actually doing a (colour-blind casting) production of the show next year which I have auditioned for as Seaweed which I am very excited for but anyways, every song is one that you can sing along to so I would suggest "Hairspray" to anyone I possibly I can, including all of you so go and watch it as soon as possible; you won't regret it!
Motown : The Musical
Most of you will know that my favourite music is such created by Motown so it's pretty understandable that "Motown : The Musical" is ending this post and is my favourite musical of all! The show tells the story of the Motown record label and all of it's highs and lows ; it features songs from beloved Motown artists ("I Heard It Through The Grapevine", "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)" and "ABC" to name a few). Even if you do not really listen to Motown music, still go and see the show as the storyline is so gripping and will have you on the edge of your seat. Trust me, you don't want to miss this one.

Song Of The Week :
As today's post is all about musicals, I thought why not have a musical song as today's "Song Of The Week"! "Take Me Or Leave Me" is a song from "Rent" and ever since I watched it, I have not been able to get enough of it, the song features great vocals throughout and is unbelievably catchy. The song is featured right at the top of my "Musicals + Disney" playlist on Spotify which you can listen to here. Enjoy!

So I hoped you enjoyed today's post. Next week I shall be showing you part 2 of "My Vinyl Collection" as I have got tons of vinyls since my last post; get excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment