Content :

Friday 8 September 2017

Album Review : Fifth Harmony by Fifth Harmony

Hello and welcome to another blogpost. Today I shall be uploading another "Album Review" this time focusing on Fifth Harmony's latest release. If you have read my blog for a while you'll know that  I have liked Fifth Harmony for a while now, seeing them live in October last year. Anyways, without further ado, lets get on with today's post.


Track 1 = Down (feat. Gucci Mane)
We kick off this review with Fifth Harmony's first and their only (so far) single from the album. If I am being honest, I feel like the song is just trying to replicate "Work From Home" and the massive success they had on it, making the track feel unoriginal; I also don't feel like Gucci Mane's verse really fits with the rest of the song. It may be a negative start to the review but this is probably my least favourite on the record.

Track 2 = He Like That
From my least favourite to my most favourite, "He Like That" does not follow "Down" with replicating other songs as it sound unlike anything else. The song is so catchy and I cannot get enough of it; it just always wants to make you sing and dance along. The continuous beat is so infectious and each of the girls show off their great voices and harmonies. This is a song I think you should all listen to as soon as possible!

Track 3 = Sauced Up
When a song starts with a capella harmonies, you know it is going to be a good one. "Sauced Up" for some reason reminds me of 2000's R&B and I am certainly not complaining. Some of the vocals may not be the best in the world but I personally think they make up for it with the catchiness of this song. In addition to this, the song makes you want to get up and dance just like "He Like That" before it.

Track 4 = Make You Mad
This next track seems to take more of a techno/edm route compared to the others but it supplies a nice change to other tracks. The song isn't my favourite but I feel like that is only because it doesn't feature any great vocals that I know Fifth Harmony are capable of. I am also don't listen to that much edm so that could possibly contribute. I don't really have that much against it though.

Track 5 = Deliver
Unlike "Make You Mad", "Deliver" shows some vocals that I have been waiting for in the verses. Sure, the hook may not be 'vocally challenging' but it does make you pumped and it does get you ready to dance. What I love most about this song though is the piano featured in the bridge and middle 8 of the song as the piano creates a tranquil sound before leading into the chaotic chorus; this is a contrast that makes me very pleased.

Track 6 = Lonely Night
The sixth track on the album is another one of my favourites as the chorus contains great vocals and great falsetto, something which you rarely hear from Fifth Harmony. I am also a big fan of the attitude in bridge which flows into the passive aggression of the chorus. The more that I listen to this song, the more I just fall in love with it and its summery vibes. To be honest, there isn't much that I don't like about it.

Track 7 = Don't Say You Love Me
After the upbeat songs before it, it is nice to slow down the tempo a bit for "Don't Say You Love Me". I absolutely love the tranquil feeling felt throughout the entirety of this song, even after the beat-drop after the choruses. The vocals of this track are also possibly the best on the whole album as they show a variety of unison and harmonies, including a lovely four-part harmony towards the end. This song is another favourite of mine.

Track 8 = Angel
"Angel" is another track that I heard before the album's release and after the disappointment of "Down", I was so glad to hear a song that I can enjoy listening to. The song has a very catchy beat all the way through the song and it shows some noticeably great vocals. The chorus is incredibly catchy as well, making this a song that is very easy to jam too. The song is a brilliant one and one that I would suggest to everyone.

Track 9 = Messy
Similar to "Don't Say You Love Me", "Messy" is chilled back but very catchy, meaning that I love it. Something else that I noticed was that the song references to Shaggy's infamous hit "It Wasn't Me" in the bridge with the phrase "crying on the bedroom floor", referencing to "banging on the bathroom floor". The vocals may not be the best but they are certainly good ones that are respectable in today's industry.

Track 10 = Bridges
Finally we have "Bridges", a track which reminds me of the old Fifth Harmony and their "Reflection" album. The song features some lovely and meaningful lyrics throughout and doesn't follow the same trends as their recent singles. The song also gives each of the four girls to showcase their vocals which are all amazing! The song is all about equality and it is a great note to end the album on.

Overall, Fifth Harmony's third album is amazing but I would not say it is their best (my personal favourite is "Reflection"). However, scattered throughout the record, there are some true gems and songs that will certainly be in my Spotify playlist. With this in mind, lets take a look at the album rankings below...

1. Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol.1
2. Kehlani - SweetSexySavage
3. Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
4. Sonny - Hopeless Romance EP
5. Sarah Close - Caught Up EP
6. Harry Styles - Harry Styles
7. John Legend - Love & Darkness
8. Fifth Harmony - Fifth Harmony
9. Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love
10. Ed Sheeran - Divide


Song Of The Week :
This week's "Song Of The Week" is one that you may have heard on the radio recently but I can not get enough of it! Cardi B's "Bodak Yellow" is so catchy and it just makes me want to rap along every time that I listen. It's quite weird because I usually don't listen to rap but this song is definitely one of my favourites at the moment; I may even go as far to say that Cardi B is my favourite female rapper at the moment, even above Nicki Minaj! You need to give this song a listen as I bet you'll love it.                         So I hoped you enjoyed another "Album Review". Next week I shall be uploading a post dedicated to "7 Musicals That You Should Watch" so get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment