Content :

Monday 5 December 2016

Album Review : Awaken My Love by Childish Gambino

Hello everyone and welcome to yet another blog post. In today's post I am going to be reviewing Childish Gambino's heavily anticipated new album "Awaken My Love". Sadly, YouTube will not let me attach any of the songs from the album but I hope you enjoy the post anyways and listen to it in your spare time.


Track 1 = Me and Your Momma
When I first listened to the album, this song immediately made me become intrigued by the album as it has such a different sound to anything else I have heard this year. Childish Gambino is such an independent artist as well, doing just what he is interested by, and I really think this shows on the album. The main focus of this song though has to be the sudden mood switch about halfway through where it quickly switches from an angelic to a rough sound. Personally, I think this is amazing as it is completely unexpected but it works so well! 

Track 2 = Have Some Love
If you ask me, "Have Some Love" is a great song as you immediately get brought into the track with this gospel choir, getting you hyped up, before Childish Gambino does his extremely catchy solo. This song is catchy throughout and if I had to choose one part, I would have to choose the chorus as my favourite put simply because the gospel section works so well with the rest of the track. Who knew rap and gospel would work so well?! I would say this is one of my favourite songs on the album.

Track 3 = Boogieman
The reason why I like this song so much is because it is so different to any other song in the current music industry. Also, I am aware this may be really repetitive but the chorus is yet again ultra catchy! My favourite part has to be how the drums are louder than every other instrument. This is because it makes a rare twist on what we're used to in a 'normal' song nowadays; I think it works really well!

Track 4 = Zombies
I think "Zombies" has to be my favourite track from the entire album! I just love how catchy the chorus is and I also think the slight auto-tune works really well as it makes Childish Gambino sound completely different to anyone else out there. Another thing I am a big fan of is how you can distinctly hear the distortion of that electric guitar in the background as it almost puts a 'glam-rock' twist on a song that normally wouldn't be associated with that music genre.

Track 5 = Riot
To me, this song sound very 'rock' considering it's a Childish Gambino song. This is suggested by the overcompensation of instruments and the clear 'moaning' of the vocal chords. I don't quite know why but I'm not really a fan of this song; I think it may be because it's just a bit too much with the extremely complicated texture to the song. I certainly do not think it is a bad song though.

Track 6 = Redbone
If you read my latest "7 Songs You Should Listen To" post you'll know that I am already a massive fan of this song. The reason for this is because the song is so relaxing and tranquil to listen to and yet again, the auto-tune makes a positive effect on the song. Whenever I am doing any artwork, this is one of my 'go-to' songs as it literally soothes your mind, helping you focus on the task at hand. Overall, this is probably joint with "Zombies" for my favourite track on the album.

Track 7 = California
I really like California as it is just so catchy and once again, unlike anything else in today's music industry. I love how Childish Gambino has sang differently to what he would normally to as it makes him seen like a completely new artist. Another reason why this song is great though is because it is quite honest and cheeky, thats always a good factor to have in a song.

Track 8 = Terrified
"Terrified" is very unique out of the tracks on the record as its one of the only songs where Childish Gambino's vocals are really showcased. The song shows attitude as well which is sometimes what you need in a song. Also, another reason why the song is so unique is that it has masses of falsetto throughout which seems to really work. With its catchy tune, this song is definitely one of the better ones.

Track 9 = Baby Boy
This song is very soulful which I personally adore as it is my favourite style of music. I also think that the auto-tune has once again really benefitted this song as it makes him sound so diverse. My favourite part in the song would have to be the backing vocals added to the chorus though as it really makes the song sound like an old classic due to the (what I think are) three-piece harmonies.

Track 10 = The Night Me and Your Mama Met
What I love about this song is the gospel choir throughout as it almost gives the song a sense of heritage! Although this song may have no actually vocals in it, it sure does make for a great interlude with the choir and the electric guitar making great accompaniment. Yes I know, it could possibly be better with vocals but on the other hand sometimes its just nice to leave a song in its natural form. That natural form is what I would prefer to hear it in.

Track 11 = Stand Tall
Lastly we have "Stand Tall" which I must say, I am not really a fan of as it contains a bit too much of everything, just like "Riot". The main focus of this is the amount of auto-tune used - it is just a little too much and it actually sounds almost identical to Kanye West and his material. I do think that if the instruments were toned down a little, the song could possibly be a great one but it's not quite at that stage.


Overall, I think the album is great but it is nowhere near as good as his previous album "Because The Internet" in my opinion. Although some of the songs are brilliant and i'll be listening to them on repeat for a while, I cant help but feel like it didn't exactly live up to the hype. I still love the album and Childish Gambino as an artist though and it is certainly not a bad album.

The next element of this blog is a new one where I am going to rank the albums in which ones are best (in my opinion). This is to give guidance for any of those people who are looking for good albums to listen to. Here are the rankings, which you can probably guess by the previous paragraph...
1. Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
2. Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love

I hoped you enjoyed this post as i really enjoyed writing it. Expect more posts like this coming (really) soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment