Content :

Monday 26 December 2016

Artist Showcase : MNEK

Hello and welcome to my third monthly "Artist Showcase" blogpost. Today the topic is someone who I have loved for a long time and has actually been featured on this blog a lot; his name is MNEK.


Uzoechi Emenike (professionally known as MNEK) is a British singer, songwriter and record-producer. In his lifetime the London-born songwriter has collaborated with people like Little Mix, Madonna and even Queen Bey which is truly incredible when you realise that he is just 22 years old. This year, MNEK received ASCAP Vanguard Award for songwriting as his lyrics have proved popular around the world, even if you may not have heard them. Anyways, I have been a fan of MNEK's originality and amazing vocals for a good few years now and his music never seems to unimpressed me. His voice is just so unique/distinctive that I could always recognise his material which I think every artist needs in todays music industry.

MNEK's first and only EP is one of my favourite EPs ever simply because it is so original and unlike any other. In particular, I love the song "Wrote A Song About You" as it it so honest and different. The song also shows what seriously low and high vocals the 22 year old can reach. Alongside what I consider as a catchy beat, the song is not one to disappoint and it is one that will be stuck in your head for ages with its infectious melody. Please listen to the song below so you can understand my feelings towards it...


Another thing that MNEK is brilliant at is writing songs for other artists, providing lyrics for other artists since 2011 where he wrote "All Fired Up" for The Saturdays, his first ever song. Over the years, the popularity has rapidly grown for the artist to help write songs and now he is collaborating with some of the biggest artists out there. My favourite song that he has written has to be "Hold Up" by Beyonce. The reasons for this is that the song is just so catchy and will have you singing along, it is the one and only Beyonce and lastly, it is a song that will get all of the crowd going. For MNEK, it must be a great achievement to feature on an album that has won an incredible amount of awards, considering he has only been writing for five years. The "Lemonade" album is revolutionary in my eyes so I can only imagine how ecstatic the artist must be!

Finally, something else that I love about MNEK is his ability to completely reinvent songs by doing covers of them, covering songs by artists such as Queen in the past. My favourite of his covers has to be the cover of Vanessa Carlton's "A Thousand Miles" though. The song that was incredibly popular in the 2000's seemed like a new song after MNEK put his twist on it, adding samples of the infamous "Love Shack" in there as well. The main factor of why this cover was so great and unique though was the instrumental as it sounded absolutely nothing like the original. Listen to this song below as it really shows off what vocals MNEK is capable of whilst singing a song we all know and love!



Even though the singer has had success to a certain extent, it is nothing compared to the success and respect that he deserves. Whenever you have the time, listen to any of his music. Whether thats his own songs or songs that he has written, I would really appreciate you giving him the support. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this instalment of my "Artist Showcase" series, expect more every month as there are so many artists out there that need to be discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment