Content :

Friday 16 December 2016

Album Review : Love & Darkness by John Legend

Hello and welcome to another post. Today I am going to be doing a long-awaited review of John Legend's latest album called "Love & Darkness". I will also be trying to attach as many of the songs from the album as I can, however, some videos are not allowed to be attached from YouTube. Anyways, I really hope you enjoy.


Track 1 = I Know Better
If you saw my most recent "7 Songs" post, you will know that I am already a big fan of this song. The reason for that is because the whole song is just so meaningful and emotional, being able to almost experience what John Legend was going through at the time of writing. The instrumental is also so calming and mellow with a low amount of instruments being used. In my opinion, "I Know Better" is the 'perfect' start to a great album.


Track 2 = Penthouse Floor
Just like the first track, "Penthouse Floor" was also featured in one of my previous posts because I am such a big fan of it! The main point as to why I like this song is because it is very upbeat for John Legend which is unusual but I love it. Also, you can really hear the huskiness of his voice throughout it. Chance The Rapper also adds to the greatness of this song with his relaxing rapping, something that no one else really has in today's industry. Sadly, I am not allowed to attach this song but it is really worth the listen.

Track 3 = Darkness & Light
"Darkness & Light" has to be one of my favourites on the album as it is completely different to anything I am used to by John Legend. The reason for this is that at the chorus of the song, you start to really feel the rock element of the track and it shows what I can only call as 'unbelievable falsetto' from the singer. This song really implements the idea that there is so much variety on the album.


Track 4 = Overload
If you ask me, "Overload" is a song that shows complete contrast when compared with the previous two as it just feels so tranquil and calming, whereas the past two were quite upbeat. This song just feels exactly like old-school John Legend to me (in particular, the "Get Lifted" album) which was my favourite thing to listen to at a certain point in time. I also feel like Miguel's vocals accompany the song really well, almost as if he was always meant to be there.


Track 5 = Love Me Now
Out of all of the songs on the album, this is probably the most infamous one as it was the lead single and has already had its peak in the chart. I have also featured this song in a "7 Songs" post as it just always makes you want to sing along. Also, you can tell that the song varies in the form of tempo throughout which also leads to John Legend really showcasing his vocal range. If you have been living under a rock and have not heard this yet, you need to listen to it down below.


Track 6 = What You Do To Me
"What You Do To Me" is another song that shows just how much musical diversity this album has! This is because there are clear elements of house/dance music within it. John Legend also manages to show so much attitude throughout the track as well, something which I personally think is always needed in music. Lastly, the song is very catchy and makes you want to sing or dance along all of the way through, so you should definitely listen to it!


Track 7 = Surefire
Even though it is quite a good song, I must say that "Surefire" is probably my least favourite song on the album. I, personally, just think that the song is a little too slow for me, even if it may be a little catchy. The strongest positive about this song though is the fact that is shows his deeper vocals as we do not really see it on any of the other songs scattered throughout the album.


Track 8 = Right By You (For Luna)
"Right By You" is such a personal and emotional song as it is written for John's baby daughter Luna; it really pulls at your heart strings! Another thing that works well on this song is the fact that is is very simplistic (which can sometimes be a bad thing) and it works for once. You can also really sense the jazz and soul elements of the song which certainly makes it stand out from the crowd!


Track 9 = Temporarily Painless
I must say that "Temporarily Painless" is another one of my favourites on the album. The reason for this is that the song is extremely catchy and it must be virtually impossible to not get it stuck in your head! It is also one of those songs where you always find yourself bobbing along to the chorus as it has that infectious affect on you. Have a listen below if you haven't already...


Track 10 = How Can I Blame You
Track ten is one of those songs that has such soulful vocals throughout that one-hundred percent compliment it. Putting a twist on your 'casual' ballad, this song is definitely the most unique out of the bunch and with truly unbelievable vocals in the middle eight, you cant really disapprove. I also love the uncredited female vocals throughout as they make the song so engaging and captivating.


Track 11 = Same Old Story
The penultimate track is yet again, very emotional and honest but I must say, its certainly not one of my favourites. The song is not a bad one though with great vocals from the American singer/songwriter, even if it is fairly repetitive. I am going to be honest, I have mixed opinions on this song; have a listen down below and see what you think...


Track 12 = Marching Into The Dark
Finally, we have "Marching Into The Dark" which is the last track on the album and also one of my favourites. I am a big fan of this song because it is extremely catchy and will have you singing along whenever you listen. Also, the vocals are accompanied by what in my eyes is an infectious, and sort of funky beat. This song is one of the best on the album so you need to have a listen...


Overall, I think the album is brilliant and possibly even one of the best of 2016. The main positive from this is the diversity of music genre throughout including themes such as rock, dance and jazz. I also love John Legend's vocal range all the way through the record and unlike Childish Gambino in the last review, John Legend has definitely lived up to the anticipation and hype. I have added many of the songs to my playlist and you all should too. With this in mind, here are the rankings...

1. John Legend - Love & Darkness
2. Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
3. Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love


So I hope you enjoyed yet another album review on this blog. Expect more of these in the new year as they are a lot of fun to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment